Sunday 1 May 2011

The Royal Wedding, The NeverEnding Wedding and The Sneeze...

I’m a little disappointed. I just looked through my blog list and discovered that NO ONE has blogged about the Royal Wedding. I must be following the wrong people.
If you hate the Royal family, or are just a bit sick of all the wedding hype, feel free to skip this next section.
I love weddings. I also think I’m a Royalist but I’m not entirely sure. I don’t understand the difference between Republican, Left-Wing, Liberalist, Democratic etc but I do really, really like the Royal family. I don’t think they’re outdated. Well, some of them are. But I think the younger generation (ie William) have got their heads and hearts in the right place. They realise the power they’ve been given and they use it for good. I know they’re not superheroes and I know that really they’re just regular people with a special last name but I do think that they make a big difference to the charities they support.
I’m also a little old-fashioned. I think the Royal family is part of what makes Britain great. Or Britain Britain. They have history and legacy and they work wonders for our tourist industry. Without them Britain would just be another America, or France. The Royals help us to carve our little niche into the world and remain individuals, and stay unique.
I also realise most of what I just wrote didn’t make much sense, but I hope you got my drift.
I’m also a hopeless romantic. That’s not relevant for the “Royal” part, more for the “wedding” part. And so yes, I did get up early just so I could watch the ENTIRE BBC overage, which started at 8. And I squealed, multiple times. I tweeted, much to my mother’s amusement. I awwweeeed at
the dress

the bridesmaids and the page boys

I gossiped about what the guests were wearing.


I got a little emotional when they said the vows.

I compared the part when they left the Abbey with the final scene from Cinderella.

It drove my brother crazy, lots of you are probably tutting and shaking your heads, but I’m not embarrassed about it.

But what was most special, for me at least, was how happy everyone was. Not just the bride and groom but the country. It could have rained and I don’t think you would have seen anyone get upset. In the current climate, with the economic problems and the African Spring (as it will apparently be known) it’s nice just to have a day when everyone can come together and share in a couple’s joy. A little serotonin goes a long way. And I know that in a week or so, when everyone’s sick and tired of the updates and the coverage and pictures of “the kiss” (which was a bit of an anti-climax), we’ll all go back to being cynical about everything, like the children at the start of the Morrison’s advert. We’ll find fault in everything and we’ll moan about how many thousands of taxpayer’s money was spent on a wedding that we weren’t even invited to. But at least for a day or so we could collectively grin and embrace our inner romantics (yes, even the guys) and remember that despite the darkness and hardship in the world there are still moments of light and happiness and laughter. It doesn’t even have to be a Royal wedding, it can just be a wedding. Or a birth. Or the smile of a young child. Or the look on a grandmother’s face when her grandkids laugh and play in the corner. Or a picture of that bridesmaid’s disgruntled expression.


Ok, Royal wedding stuff over :D I should just leave it there but there are a few more updates on my life.

It was the final instalment of my cousin’s NeverEnding wedding. Let me bring you up to speed. He got engaged in April 2010. There was a big engagement party. The Islamic wedding ceremony (the Nikkah) was in June 2010 and then the Valeema (which is a big party attended by all the boy’s side (normally only the girl’s side goes to the Nikkah, apart from close family)) was in July. Each event involved loads of planning, and family arguments and coaches that would put the Royal minibuses to shame.  But despite all this they still weren’t married. They were Islamically married, but not legally married. In the eyes of the law they weren’t a married couple. If my cousin died his bride couldn’t get his pension.
I’ve seen registrars done on the day of the Valeema. Or the week before. Or after. I’ve been to weddings where EVERYTHING has been done in 2 days. The “problem” with this wedding is that it just kept going.
The registration was meant to be in November 2010. I’m not entirely sure why they were waiting that long in the first place. But then my aunty was hit by a truck and broke her hip so it had to be postponed.
But now it’s finally over. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed every moment of it. It actually feels like there’s something missing from my life now. But it’ll also be nice not to have to worry about the next big do and all the related hassle, which is now even more complicated as my Dad’s not talking to his mum or sister anymore (the grandma and mum of the groom), but that’s a story for another time.

And now I’m back in Brum. And I’m ill. Again.  My exams are in 19 days. Actually, I have an assessed presentation next week so technically my exams start in 3 days. So I’m going to go revise. Or at least try to, considering I sneeze every time I move.

Good Luck to everyone who has exams in the next few months :D
Toodles.
Thank you to the internet (Google and BBC) for the photos

2 comments:

  1. I was in the same no-wedding-posts boat till you rectified it! So kudos to you! The 29th was mega busy for me, and exams are eating up all my time, so I was like "I'll blog about the events NEXT Friday, when I get my life back".

    Anyway!

    Interesting that you're a Royalist! I think since The King's Speech came out (which I still haven't seen) and since the engagement got announced etc people have taken more of an interest in the Royal family, and I've been back and forth really on how I feel about them. Human rights violations aside (as in the fact they are just born into all that daunting responsibility, Spiderman style), I think they're pretty great! And I agree with you about the new generation of royals; I can see them totally revolutionising the way things are done. And yes, they DO make Britain BRITAIN. Very good point.

    I had an exam the morning of the wedding and I got home right as they were coming back DOWN the aisle :(. And then my dad proceeded to do a very sarcastic commentary on it... But it was so lovely! I LOL'd at the little bridesmaid's face when she was on the balcony - so adorable! But yeah, The Kiss was a total let-down. It was like "Blink and you'll miss it!". And the second one wasn't an improvement. But I'm so happy for them :)! And my love for Harry has grown exponentially...

    Also, it was really interesting to learn about The Neverending Wedding and the culture (?) behind it! Cause I know practically nothing about anything. Weddings are great fun, and I know what you mean about it feeling like something's missing when they're over! Like that phantom limb thing O_O.

    Sorry about your family tensions though :(. They suck ass, big time. I ain't very good with advice, but erh... I don't know, I guess all you can do is try not to let it get to you (easier said than done, I know), and not to get involved, cause that usually just makes things a heck of a lot worse! If all else fails, have some chocolate :D!

    Hayfever's a bastard. It's incredible the amount of facial-agony pretty flowers can invisibly inflict on you :|!

    Mega good luck with your exams!! And just remember to have a reward system set up for when they're over :D!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rosie :) Don't worry about the advice thing, I'm not letting it get to me this time. I'm used to it tbh.
    Hope your exam went well! I can't believe they're so early!! Mine don't start till the 19th although I have an assessed presentation on Wednesday...and an essay...think I might go get some chocolate :)
    You too!!!! Make sure you do something AMAZING to treat yourself once they're over
    :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments :)