Wednesday 20 October 2010

National Novel Writing Month...

I know I said I would write about the Feel Bright campaign and I will. Soon. But at the moment I'm actually buzzing because I just found out about the National Novel Writing Month and I wanted to jump up and down and tell people about it.


I was reading a fanfic online (laugh all you want, I don't care!) when I saw an author profile where he talked about taking part in the NaNoWriMo. So I googled it. Turns out there's this site where you aim to write a whole 50,000 word novel in a month. November. Ten days from now. You have from 12:01 on the 1st to 23:59 on the 30th. Apparently it's "thirty days and nights of literary abandon".

And I couldn't stop smiling. So I signed up and filled in my "Author Profile" (hehe, I'm an author :) ) and somehow committed myself to at least attempting to write a novel in a month. I'm trying to ignore the fact that I have two tests and a visit home during November. I'm also ignoring the fact that I don't have a novel plan. I have an idea, one that's been stewing since April last year when I was meant to be revising for my exams. Actually, thinking about it, I have three ideas. Now all I have to do is pick one, write a rough outline and try and find time to write a novel whilst trying to get through my medical degree. But hey, it's only a month. And I don't seem to sleep anymore anyway. And I need this. Need this. I need some creativity in my science-full life.

And it doesn't matter if I don't do it. If you write over 50,000 words you "win" ie you get a certificate and the joy of knowing that you did it. But I don't need to do it. I just need something to concentrate on. Something to try. Something literary. Something that can make me smile and fill me with the kind of joy I experienced when I saw the website. So let's go for it and see how far I can get.

(There's also a ScriptFrenzy in April but I need to revise during April so maybe I'll wait till I've qualified for that one).

And now I really have to go write up histology notes for tomorrow. Wish me luck (for both things :D )

4 comments:

  1. Sounds AWESOME!
    And you're right- it's not about whether you finish, it'll force you to write and focus on something other than medicine for a bit. Literary abandon actually sounds like heaven, lol. I'm totally going to try it too! :D
    Good luck with your three ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does, doesn't it!!!!!! I'm glad someone else is going to try too :D We can give each other pep talks when we start to flag *smiles* :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we should all write our yearly opuses!
    =P

    ReplyDelete

Comments :)